Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Convocation :D

Assalamualaikum


I’ve always been secretly envious of the UBD graduates. Their convocation ceremony always looks sooo grand to me. What with its venue at the brand new Chancellor Hall and the certificates given personally by the Sultan or crown prince– my convocation was almost nothing compared to theirs.

Mine was held at a sports complex! Decorated of course. hehe. I don’t know who in the world was the Chancellor. Everything was very informal thus no rehearsal was needed. If I’m not mistaken our instructions to go onstage were given on a piece of paper. My name was wrongly pronounced too. hehe.

But Alhamdulillah, I managed to experience the UBD convo today. It was extremely fun! Everyone looked nervous when we were putting on our robes at the basement. I had a love-and-hate-relationship with my hat too. Somehow or other my head grew over the years and my graduation hat wouldn’t stay put. Images of my hat falling off my head while on the stage kept on playing on my mind but thank god to double sided tapes! hehe.

While sitting down watching the other graduates going down the stage, I thought to myself how lucky I am as a Muslim to experience a Convocation ceremony in my own country, a muslim country.

While queuing at the basement waiting to go to the hall, a duaa was read, asking Allah to bless the ceremony. Then when we were in the hall, we recited Al-Fatihah. And we ended the ceremony with another duaa, thanking Allah for blessing the event. Every speech made started with Basmallah and Assalamualaikum. I could see hijjabis on my left, right, front and back.

Sigh. It was beautiful. Alhamdulillah.

So to Safi, you were saying that you're curious about Muslims in Brunei. Believe me I don't even know how to begin to explain to you about how we live our life here. Alhamdulillah, I must say we are very blessed here. Brunei is an alcohol free country (well, almost). When it is time for the prayer, one can always hear the call of the Azan as masjids are everywhere. Most of us attend religious school at the age of 8 (?) for six years and we can continue our studies if we want to. We've just established an Islamic University this year called Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali. Oh and you can find Halal food everywhere (I'm telling you this because I remember when I went to Washington to visit my aunt we had to travel soo far to get halal meat. hehe.) We pretty much uphold our Islamic values here, however, I personally think we still need to be educated on how to live like a true Muslim and we still need to be reminded that Islam is a way of life. Anyhoo, if you want to know more just holler alright?

On another note, Ramadhan starts tomorrow!!!!

InsyaAllah, a proper post on Ramadhan's coming up. :)

Labels: ,

...Hayatilah....Fahamilah....Renungilah...

5 Comments:

Blogger Reza Faizal said...

assalamualaikum....

yours in sport complex... mine in a church... wah.. what to do....

selamat berpuasa... :)

9:45 pm  
Blogger Safi said...

Wa alaikum assalam and Ramadan Mubarak!


I think it's great that you guys opened an Islamic University.

I first heard about Brunei when my dad told me when I was around 10 that the Sultan of Brunei was one of the richest men in the world and is Muslim.

It really sounds like a beautiful place, maybe I will visit sometime.

"
Anyhoo, if you want to know more just holler alright?
"
- You must have picked up this lingo from your relatives in America :)

What are the predominant issues for the Muslims in Brunei?



Care Enough to Make Dua

9:25 pm  
Blogger Muslimah Melayu said...

RF: Waalaikumsalam. Lol! the things we had to do for graduation huh. I bet ur parents were a bit "garu-garu hati" that they had to sit in a church. hehe.

Selamat berpuasa to u too :)

11:32 pm  
Blogger Muslimah Melayu said...

Salaam and Ramadhan Mubarak!

Ahhh yess I must say our sultan is more popular than the country itself. hehe. Oh please do come to Brunei. It is very peaceful here.

Hmm predominant issues for Muslims in Brunei. Well, I must say we have difficulties in separating our traditional practices from our Islamic values.

We pretty much are still following our traditional practices. Especially when it comes to weddings. Weddings in brunei can stretch up to a week and different ceremonies will go on different nights. Some of these ceremonies originate from Hindu or Buddhist practices and hence we should not be doing them but most of us still practice them as our elders are very strict when it comes to traditional weddings.

Another problem that we are facing right now is that we are getting more and more westernised. I guess this must be a global problem. Too much TV I guess.

Putting on muslimah garb is seen as 'uncool'. One need to wear tight baby tees and a pair of tight jeans with orange hair to be seen as cool. lately, we hear cases of drunk-drive crash involving young muslim teens. Cases of abandoned babies are on the rise too. sigh. Nauzubillah hi min zalik.

May Allah gives us all his taufiq and hidayah and saves us from the tials of the nafs. Amin

on another note, believe me I think most bruneians speak with a bit of American slang. Its funny cause we learn British English in school. Yep, definitely too much tv. hehe.

Oh yea, ive been meaning to ask you about the dua4me.com. Are we to post any duaas we like?

12:00 am  
Blogger Safi said...

What are the good groups/things happening (like is the Islamic University a success)? Or are things mostly on the decline?


As for dua4me.com yeah, pretty much any dua you feel like making..any where from I got sick please make duu4me to I love the Islamic university of brunei, please make dua that it succeeds .

So for example, if you care about anything and you feel like blogging about it, spend the extra 2 minutes it takes to share a dua (with a link to your post) on dua4me.com

Also an insider's note, the Dua4me team is working on getting a Dua4Me button on Blogger/Blogspot blogs!

Check out the bottom of the posts here

And let me know what you think

9:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home