Sunday, August 12, 2007

Iji. Beriji. Biyutipul. <------Geddit? hehe

Assalamualaikum

So far I think this is the most difficult post for me to finish. Its content is quite simple actually but somehow I kept on having a writer’s-block-syndrome for the past three weeks. I sincerely don’t know what made me this post seemed so complicated when actually it is not.

Hmmmm.

Well just sit back and read on people. :)


One thing that we girls love is beauty products. I had just about every different shade of lipsticks that one could think of. I was such a HUGE fan of Mabelline Watershine. I remember I had this glittery super dark brown lipstick that I loved to use. I thought I looked exotic whenever I used it. Then one day my sister told me I looked scary. Sure enough that was the last day that I touched it. Lol. You know, looking back, I was such a vain girl. Well….maybe I still am but I’d like to think that I’m better now. =P

We girls put too many things onto our face. Toner, moisturiser, sunblock, foundation, concealer, compact powder, pressed powder (I’m not really sure what’s the difference between these two but yea apparently they are different) blusher, highlighter, eye-shadow, eye-liner, lip-liner, lipstick, lip balm, lip gloss oh you can go on really. All in the name of looking ‘naturally pretty’.

Some of us even use super expensive products that can cost up to more than $300 per month (I can just imagine the boys going tsk tsk). Since they are sooo expensive we try to make sure that we don’t waste them. So much so that we wouldn’t pray because doing so would require us to wash our face during ablution which in turn would wash away our expensive toners. Re-applying is never an option. No.Way. Besides, it would take another full hour or so to put on all those different colours onto the face. I mean which one would you choose? Pray and risk looking pale OR miss your prayer and let every girls within 3 miles envy your made up face? Easy, Breezy, Beautiful. Of Course the heart would say the later. Always. Besides, you can always qada later anywayyy.


Sigh.
Yes. I was like that.
If that wasn’t vain, then I don’t know what is.

Back then, during Eid, my friends and I loved ‘konvoy-ing’ and literally would go 'beraya-ing' from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. At that time, it was my first attempt playing around with colours. You know, eye-shadow, blusher and the likes.


The thing is, I was sooo vain and loved my make up so much that I would not pray because I was afraid that doing so would ruin my made up face. I missed both Zuhur and Asar prayers just so that the apples of my cheeks would stay ‘rosy’.

Astaghfirullah. Astaghfirullah. Astaghfirullah!

Just thinking about it makes me feel….URGH….I can’t even begin to describe it.

Alhamdulillah Allah gave me Hidayah and shed some light on this super silly behaviour.

Looking back, I can’t believe how easily the syaitans sweet talked me into missing my prayers. I can just imagine them telling me: “Pssttt don’t pray. What’s the point of spending hours in front of the mirror, putting on your make up and then washing it off? Waste of time, waste of energy, waste of makeup and hence waste of money! Bida tu bida inda be make up ahhh. Kawan-kawanmu semua bemakeup. Kau nganya pucat. Qada saja karang bah.”

Grrrrrrr!
Annoyed ku ehhhhhh.

I feel soooo silly that I willingly missed my prayers because of my make ups or toners or whatever other beauty products that I used. It’s like volunteering myself to go to Jahannam as long as I was able to hold on to my mascara! Nauzubillah! Astaghfirullah!

Sigh.

My dear sisters, please let me discuss this matter with all of you out there. But before I do, let me just say this, if what I am going to say after this applies to you, please don’t go thinking that I am trying to mock you or anything. I believe there are so many of us out there, myself included, who justify ourselves for not praying using some very lame excuses. The funny thing is we actually convinced ourselves that our reasons for not praying are acceptable! Below are some examples of the excuses that I can think of at the moment that we girls use to miss our prayers:

1) Payah jua tu cuci mua lagi. Aku lagi be cream muka apa. (It’s difficult as I have to wash my face. There goes my moisturiser)

2) Payah bah. Nada jamban bisai kan bekaut. (It’s difficult because there are no proper washrooms for me to wudhu).

3) Takut ku ehh kan ke surau seorang. (I’m afraid to be alone in the surau.)

4) Ahhh badanku bepaluh. Bagas ku sports tadi. (Ahh I’m all sweaty, I was doing some sports just now.)

5) Payah bah. Mesti betelkong. Laki-laki sanang, baju biasa atu pun bulih sembahyang. Bini-bini ani mesti betelkong. (It’s difficult as I need to wear a telkong for praying. It’s easier for men as they can just pray in their everyday clothes.)


Excuses. Excuses. Excuses.

Somehow those excuses sounded really reasonable when they were in our heads to the point of we actually felt guiltless for purposely missing our prayers. But try reading them again ukhtis, do you still find them reasonable, now that they are in writing? Can you see how nonsensical they are? Don’t you think behind those excuses was just plain laziness on our part??

Our facial creams can’t help us enter Jannah. Please, it really is OK to wash them off! We won’t be wrinkly overnight just because our pores are empty of those magical chemicals for half an hour. (Really, I'm talking to myself here!) It really bothers me that some of us love our moisturisers too much (hopefully not more than our love for the Almighty). Believe me the benefits from our wudhu will surpass any facial lotions…even SKII!!

No clean washrooms? Well, ikhtiar and find one. I’m sure there should be at least one clean washroom somewhere. We are lucky that we have masjids everywhere in the country and most commercial buildings have prayer rooms as well – with decent washrooms.

Scared to go to the surau alone? Well just ask someone to accompany you. Bring your friends along and pray together.

Too sweaty to pray? Well, it’s true that we need to be clean when we pray. Well why don’t you just simply start your sports activities after praying e.g after Asr prayer and stop just before maghrib?

No telkong? Ahhhhh let me share with you this conversation that I had with my brother a while back. A slap in the face I tell you.

Me: It’s easy for men to simply stop by any masjid and pray. It is difficult for us women.
Bro: Why difficult?
Me: Coz sometimes there are no telkongs in the masjid.
Bro: Why can’t you just pray in the clothes you were wearing?
Me: Coz can still see my aurah.
Bro: Exactly
Me: Huh?
Bro: When you pray you need to cover all parts of the body except for the face and the hands. Women’s aurah is all parts of the body except for the face and the hands. In other word, you should be able to immediately pray in the clothes that you were wearing. But since you said you couldn't, it means that you still have not covered your aurah.
Me: *Ouch*

I told you it was a slap in the face. I think that was also my brother’s way of telling me that my clothes at that time were a bit too tight.


My dear sisters, we all should be ashamed of ourselves. Surely Allah makes praying 5 times per day compulsory to help us remember Him as He knows how weak we are. Some of us purposely miss Zuhr prayer to go out for lunch with friends! How unthankful can we be, eating the rezk given by Allah but yet we forget to remember him? Allah Ar- Raheem on the other hand, continues to love us and provides us with those delicious food that we shamelessly eat while forgetting Him.

We display our anger whenever the unbelievers mock the name of Allah but yet we miss our prayers and neglect a lot of our duties as a Muslim.

"Missing Salah (Prayers) is the only distinction between a (believing) slave and Kufr (Disbelief)". (Muslim)

“Perbezaan antara kafir dan orang mukmin itu adalah meninggalkan solat.” (Muslim)

So if we missed our prayers, we are amongst them, the Kufr! Nauzubillah!


Muslimins and Muslimahs, lets us truly act like a Muslim. We should first start by performing all our obligatory Salahs and try to perfect them. If we have missed some prayers in the pass, we should repent now, Qada as much as possible, for Allah is the most Forgiving and Merciful.

“O My servants who have wronged against their souls! Do not despair of the mercy of Allah. For Allah forgives all sins; for He is indeed Forgiving, Compassionate.” (Az-Zumur: 53).

"Wahai hamba-hambaKu yang telah melampaui batas terhadap diri mereka sendiri (dengan perbuatan-perbuatan maksiat), janganlah kamu berputus asa dari rahmat Allah, kerana sesungguhnya Allah mengampunkan segala dosa; sesungguhnya Dia lah jua Yang Maha Pengampun, lagi Maha Mengasihani.


Lets act now everyone, for we never know when our last breath is nor do we know when the Hour is. Lets taubah now while we still can. By Allah, looking back, I've done many things that I should't have and I've missed many many salahs. My only hope is that Almighty Allah will forgive me.

May Allah guide us all to truth and keep us and those around us on the straight path. Amin

...Hayatilah....Fahamilah....Renungilah...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so true! even now i look forward to the days when beruzur so i can play with makeup without worrying about washing it off to pray..astaghafirullah!

11:04 pm  
Blogger Ummu Ummati said...

Waalaikumsalam Warahmatullah Muslimah,

Subhanallah, your post slapped me left right front center lah. But Jazakallah for the reminder. A sister always need one every now and then ;)

Dulu masa awal-awal bertudong and actually performing my prayers, berkarih I run home in between classes just so I could do my shalah.

But now, masjids are everywhere and I have telkongs at my disposal and I don't even give the masjids a second glance when Im out and I know I should be doing my shalah. It's always, qadha saja dirumah..ngalih ku memasang eyeliner ku tadi.

Astagafirullahalazim. How weak the iman is. Im always with non-muslim friends or non-practising muslim friends, so kalau kan singgah masjid atu, rasa malu pulang. *geleng kepala* Malu arah kawan tau, tapi malu arah Allah, nda tau. =(

But insya-Allah, that will change. Insya-Allah. I gots me halaqah muslimahs to reminds mes! :D

Allah Hafiz! See you soon, muslimah!

1:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

assalamualaikum..
wut ur saying is so so so true...
i thought im the only one who think that way...astagfirullah, how weak are we...for simply surrending ourself to syaitan..hopefully Allah never stop giving us hidayah..InsyaAllah. anyway,
i enjoy reading ur blogs..
thanx sis! =p

9:06 pm  
Blogger Muslimah Melayu said...

anon1: salaam sister. I guess that is one of our dugaan. We love anything that has to do with beauty. Lets walk hand in hand sister! We can do this! :D

Nisah: I was really talking to myself when i wrote this post. Cam banar2 gerijitan kan diri sendiri. lol.

I so knowwww that 'malu' that you mentioned. Sigh. Kenapa kan tu ahhhhh? Hairaannn. SOmetimes i just went ' ermm be back in 15 mins ah guys.' But Alhamdulillah my chinese friends now understand udah. And sometimes they are the ones yg ingati suruh smbhyg. One of my chinese friends actually told my non-practising muslim friend to belajar sembahyang. Mudahan Allah give her hidayah to embrace Islam. Amin.

Anon 2: Yes sister, in the past I thought i was the only one who has 'probs' when it comes to salah (Actually, i shouldnt be calling it 'probs', i should say 'making excuses'!). It helps to know that others are experiencing it too. So we all should take this opportunity to help each other out. Having friends who also has the same goals as us also helps a lot. InsyaAllah.
On another note, Welcome sister :)

10:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalmu'Alaykum Muslimah,
you're so right that women have so many excuses to skil solat. i agree about the makeup part - as i often hear people too lazy to re-do their faces. astarghfirullah... but Islam is simple, we make it complicated. it is not haram to wear make up at home or when with girlfriends, as long as you do your prayers. anyway, there is no need for excessive makeup inthe first place since excessiveness is prohibited!

when it's hard to make solat just think of brothers and sisters in palestein and iraq adn other countries facing adversity, i'm sure you would jump up quickly to offer prayer! that's what i do.
salam :)

9:40 pm  
Blogger Strictly Beautiful said...

so is it ok to pray with just our tudong and baju kurung???

10:44 am  
Blogger Muslimah Melayu said...

Waalaikumsalam Husna

Yes sister, sometimes we are too immersed in our own world and temporary luxuries that we forget the real reasons why we are here.

56. I have only created Jinns and men, that they may serve ME. (Al-Zhariyat; 56)

Jazakallah for the tip sister. I have to admit I still need someone to poke me every now and then as i tend to procrastinate when it comes to performing my salah. Sigh.

Btw, welcome sister :)

9:22 pm  
Blogger Muslimah Melayu said...

Salaam strictly beautiful :)

Yes sister we can, as long as our baju kurung is loose,long, non- see through, with our hijab properly covering our hair and chest area. Also you need to make sure when you angkat takbir, your sleeves wont tegugur and show your arms. You can cover them by wearing the arm socks or you can tie the ends of you sleeves to your pergelangan tangan. Oh need to wear socks too to cover our feet.

Its easier to wear telkong I guess. Plus telkong is white in colour. If im not mistaken it is sunnat to wear white when performing salah. But I still need to check on that :)

9:38 pm  
Blogger jazrul said...

it is not haram to wear make up at home or when with girlfriends, as long as you do your prayers

malaysia seo

5:49 pm  
Blogger fauzi said...

ou can cover them by wearing the arm socks or you can tie the ends of you sleeves to your pergelangan tangan


malaysia web design

9:45 am  
Blogger fauzi said...

ya it is not haram to eat

hydrant system

1:09 pm  
Blogger fauzi said...

look a logo la

11:29 am  
Blogger jazrul said...

i like your comment aneesa

hose reel system

9:54 am  
Blogger jazrul said...

How weak the iman is. Im always with non-muslim friends or non-practising muslim friends

malaysia web design

3:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home